Man Dies After Accident At Straw Plant in Sutton
A BARWAY lorry driver has died following an accident at the biggest straw-fuelled power station in the world in Sutton. Gary Robert Darnell, 52, from Barway near Ely, was crushed by a falling straw bale as he unloaded at the power plant on Elean Business Park on Tuesday
A BARWAY lorry driver has died following an accident at the biggest straw-fuelled power station in the world in Sutton.
Gary Robert Darnell, 52, from Barway near Ely, was crushed by a falling straw bale as he unloaded at the power plant on Elean Business Park on Tuesday afternoon.
Bales carried to the plant can weigh up to three quarters of a ton and are lifted off trucks by a crane. Mr Darnell, who was employed by an external haulage company, died as the lorry was being unloaded.
Police and paramedics were unable to save Mr Darnell, who was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.
A spokesperson for the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said: "There was a fatal incident at Ely Power Station on September 16 at 4.30pm. The dead person was employed by a haulage contractor. He was hit by a straw bale that fell from a lorry whilst it was being unloaded."
He died at the scene. HSE officers have visited the site and an investigation has been launched."
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
After a report into the incident has been compiled, the HSE will decide whether there is a case for prosecution.
Elean power plant is run by Energy Power Resources (EPR), and uses 200,000 tons of straw per year to generate more than 270GWh of energy. Straw is supplied by EPR's sister company Anglian Straw.
Assistant coroner David Osborne was due to open an inquest into Mr Darnell's death at midday on Friday.