Man Dies After Accident At Straw Plant in Sutton
A BARWAY lorry driver has died following an accident at the biggest straw-fuelled power station in the world in Sutton. Gary Robert Darnell, 52, from Barway near Ely, was crushed by a falling straw bale as he unloaded at the power plant on Elean Business Park on Tuesday
A BARWAY lorry driver has died following an accident at the biggest straw-fuelled power station in the world in Sutton.
Gary Robert Darnell, 52, from Barway near Ely, was crushed by a falling straw bale as he unloaded at the power plant on Elean Business Park on Tuesday afternoon.
Bales carried to the plant can weigh up to three quarters of a ton and are lifted off trucks by a crane. Mr Darnell, who was employed by an external haulage company, died as the lorry was being unloaded.
Police and paramedics were unable to save Mr Darnell, who was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said: "There was a fatal incident at Ely Power Station on September 16 at 4.30pm. The dead person was employed by a haulage contractor. He was hit by a straw bale that fell from a lorry whilst it was being unloaded."
He died at the scene. HSE officers have visited the site and an investigation has been launched."
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
After a report into the incident has been compiled, the HSE will decide whether there is a case for prosecution.
Elean power plant is run by Energy Power Resources (EPR), and uses 200,000 tons of straw per year to generate more than 270GWh of energy. Straw is supplied by EPR's sister company Anglian Straw.
Assistant coroner David Osborne was due to open an inquest into Mr Darnell's death at midday on Friday.