Man denies New Year’s Day shotgun murder
- Credit: Archant
A 42-year-old man has denied murdering Jess Smith, who was shot in the back on New Year’s Day.
The body of Mr Smith, 36, of Potton, in Bedfordshire, was found in a car in First Drove, Burwell.
Mark Mosley, of First Drove, Burwell, was charged by police with murder and the attempted murder of another man, who was injured in the incident, on January 1.
Appearing at Cambridge Crown Court, on Monday, Mosley denied both charges and further denied one count of actual bodily harm and possessing a shotgun.
He was remanded in custody ahead of his trial, which is scheduled to begin on September 7.
You may also want to watch:
A post mortem examination carried out on Mr Smith concluded that he died as a result of a gunshot wound to the back.
In a statement, his family described him as a “good man”.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
They said: “Jess was a lovely husband and you couldn’t find a better father.
“He was a good man. We felt honoured to have him as the head of our family.”