Man charged with Ely pub burglary due to appear in court next month
- Credit: Archant
East Cambridgeshire Police have issued a thank-you to an eagle-eyed member of the public who helped identify a suspect in a series of pub burglaries across two counties.
Writing on their Facebook page Policing East Cambridgeshire said: “Excellent news with regard to our investigation into a pub burglary in Ely in January.
“Thanks to the contribution of a Facebook follower we will argue in court that the matter was linked into a series of strikingly similar offences committed across Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire.
“Officers in the three forces have been investigating incidents dating back to September 2015.
“William Batchelor, who is 68 years old and from Vera Lynn Close, Forest Gate, was arrested at his home address on March 1 by officers from Hertfordshire Constabulary.”
You may also want to watch:
He is charged with stealing cash from numerous locations, with incidents reported at the following pubs:
• The Green Man in Royston on Saturday, September 26, 2015 (charged with burglary dwelling with intent)
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 Church to hold churchyards training day
• The Froth and Elbow in Dunstable on Tuesday, September 29 (charged with burglary dwelling with intent)
• The Rose and Crown in Hitchin on November 10, 2015 (charged with burglary with intent non dwelling)
• The Kings Arms in Ely on January 8, 2016 (charged with burglary dwelling with intent)
• The Snug, Ware on February 24, 2016 (charged with two offences of burglary dwelling with intent)
He is also charged with possession of a controlled drug (cannabis) on March 1 and is currently on bail to attend Stevenage Magistrates Court on April 6.