Man charged with Ely pub burglary due to appear in court next month
- Credit: Archant
East Cambridgeshire Police have issued a thank-you to an eagle-eyed member of the public who helped identify a suspect in a series of pub burglaries across two counties.
Writing on their Facebook page Policing East Cambridgeshire said: “Excellent news with regard to our investigation into a pub burglary in Ely in January.
“Thanks to the contribution of a Facebook follower we will argue in court that the matter was linked into a series of strikingly similar offences committed across Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire.
“Officers in the three forces have been investigating incidents dating back to September 2015.
“William Batchelor, who is 68 years old and from Vera Lynn Close, Forest Gate, was arrested at his home address on March 1 by officers from Hertfordshire Constabulary.”
He is charged with stealing cash from numerous locations, with incidents reported at the following pubs:
• The Green Man in Royston on Saturday, September 26, 2015 (charged with burglary dwelling with intent)
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
• The Froth and Elbow in Dunstable on Tuesday, September 29 (charged with burglary dwelling with intent)
• The Rose and Crown in Hitchin on November 10, 2015 (charged with burglary with intent non dwelling)
• The Kings Arms in Ely on January 8, 2016 (charged with burglary dwelling with intent)
• The Snug, Ware on February 24, 2016 (charged with two offences of burglary dwelling with intent)
He is also charged with possession of a controlled drug (cannabis) on March 1 and is currently on bail to attend Stevenage Magistrates Court on April 6.