Man Arms Himself With Hammer and Mircowave Oven
FRIGHTENED Aaron Palmer armed himself with a hammer after Timothy Buchanan swung punches at him. A microwave oven was smashed during the fracas at Mr Palmer s Prickwillow home, and a kettle was damaged. At Ely courthouse on Thursday, 37-year-old Buchanan,
FRIGHTENED Aaron Palmer armed himself with a hammer after Timothy Buchanan swung punches at him.
A microwave oven was smashed during the fracas at Mr Palmer's Prickwillow home, and a kettle was damaged.
At Ely courthouse on Thursday, 37-year-old Buchanan, of Cedar Court, Littleport, admitted using threatening behaviour on July 14.
The incident started after Mr Palmer argued outside with his former girlfriend, said Angela Sassoli, prosecuting.
Buchanan was there, and had been drinking. He shouted at Mr Palmer, and this escalated into punches being swung, which did not connect.
"Mr Palmer was frightened for his own safety and ran into his home address," said Mrs Sassoli. "He armed himself with a hammer, feeling he could be assaulted, and Buchanan followed him."
- 1 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 2 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 3 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 4 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 5 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 6 Visit Ely announces series of fun-packed events ahead of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 7 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 8 Detached home in tranquil riverside setting on sale for £750,000
- 9 Yarn-bombing returns to city ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 10 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
Buchanan threw Mr Palmer's microwave oven on to the floor, and a kettle was damaged. Buchanan also used foul language towards Mr Palmer, who was standing with the hammer.
When arrested, Buchanan said the incident was "alcohol-fuelled."
Representing himself in court, Buchanan said he had drunk a couple of pints before the fracas, and Mr Palmer had been aggressive.
"I picked up the microwave to protect myself," he said, "unfortunately it got smashed."
The court ordered Buchanan to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work and pay £95 costs.