Man, 85, left startled after tractor ploughs through crash barrier near his Littleport home
- Credit: Archant
An 85-year-old man from Littleport was left startled after a tractor ploughed through the crash barrier near his home.
John Shalsher, who lives in New River Bank with his wife, Rose, heard “such a bang” at 4.30pm last Wednesday (28).
“I heard a big clang and crash outside my house,” he said.
“I’m 85 so it took me a bit of time to get up and go and check what happened.
“A tractor had driven through the crash barrier and carried on going. The driver never stopped.
“They are a nuisance on the road.
“We live in the dreaded area where all the accidents are happening near Sandal Bridge.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 3 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 4 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 5 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 6 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 7 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 8 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 9 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
“My son came down and made the barrier safe again because it was swinging about.
“I reported it to the police and they said because it’s not my house or property that I needed to contact the Highways Agency.”