Man, 63, jailed for 27 years for sexual abuse of children that spanned two decades

PUBLISHED: 17:20 07 September 2017 | UPDATED: 17:20 07 September 2017

JAILED; Robin Matthews

JAILED; Robin Matthews

Archant

A man who sexually abused two children over two decades has been jailed for 27 years.

Robin Matthews, 63, of Hobart Road in Cambridge, was convicted of 21 offences following a week-long trial at Cambridge Crown Court last month (July).

He was arrested on July 1, 2015, after a man and a woman disclosed historical abuse by Matthews when they were children.

His victims were as young as four and nine-years-old when the abuse began, occurring on and off between 1970 and the early 1990s.

The woman told officers her earliest childhood memory was of Matthews sexually abusing her at the age of four and the abuse continued on a regular basis throughout her childhood years.

The man recalled the abuse starting while he was still at primary school, being anally penetrated by Matthews on a regular basis until he was about 16-years-old, describing Matthews as a “bully”, being “drunk and aggressive” and threatening him if he told anyone about the abuse.

On Friday, July 28, Matthews was convicted of 13 counts of indecent assault, seven counts of buggery and one count of child cruelty. Today (Thursday, September 7) he was sentenced to 27 years in prison with an extra year on licence. He has also been made subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order indefinitely preventing him from having any contact with children under the age of 18. An indefinite restraining order has been put in place prohibiting from contacting either of the victims.

Detective Constable Helen Tebbit, from the Child Abuse Investigation and Safeguarding Unit (CAISU), said: “Both victims were subjected to sustained abuse over the course of 22 years. Matthews is a dangerous individual who threatened and manipulated his victims when they were both vulnerable children.

“I would like to thank the victims for giving evidence against Matthews, I know this would not have been easy, but I do hope they both find some closure knowing their abuser is now behind bars and they can move on with their lives.”

A breakdown of the charges is below.

•Indecent assault on a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1972

• Buggery with a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1972

• Indecent assault on a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1977

• Buggery with a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1977

• Indecent assault on a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1977

• Buggery with a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1977

• Indecent assault on a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1977

• Buggery with a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1977

• Buggery with a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1977

• Buggery with a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1977

• Indecent assault on a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1977

• Indecent assault on a boy under the age of 16 between 1970 and 1977

• Indecent assault on a girl under the age of 13 between 1978 and 1980

• Indecent assault on a girl under the age of 13 between 1978 and 1987

• Indecent assault on a girl under the age of 13 between 1978 and 1987

• Indecent assault on a girl under the age of 13 between 1978 and 1987

• Cruelty to a girl under the age of 16 between 1978 and 1990

• Indecent assault on a girl under the age of 13 between 1978 and 1987

• Indecent assault on a girl under the age of 13 between 1978 and 1987

• Indecent assault on a girl under the age of 16 between 1987 and 1990

• Buggery with a female between 1987 and 1992

All of the offences took place in the Cambridge area.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard