Mammouth journey for £200 taxi
CAN a £200 taxi with a quarter of a million miles on the clock make it to Barcelona in just three days? Estate agent Marc Nolan, 48, is setting out on the mammoth journey today (Thursday) in his customised Barcelona Banger taxi. He and co-workers Marc S
CAN a £200 taxi with a quarter of a million miles on the clock make it to Barcelona in just three days?
Estate agent Marc Nolan, 48, is setting out on the mammoth journey today (Thursday) in his customised Barcelona Banger taxi.
He and co-workers Marc Southgate, 24, and Ian Allen from Harley's in Littleport are driving through France, then across the Pyrenees to raise money for seven-year-old Joshua Wilson, who was left paralysed after an operation to remove a brain tumour.
Mr Nolan's trip was originally planned to raise money for his local motorcycle club charity, but a chance meeting with Joshua's grandmother at a motorcycle show meant he changed his mind.
"She signed up Joshua's name on the sponsorship list, but when she explained his story, I was moved to give Joshua the money instead," said Mr Nolan.
Joshua was taken to hospital after suffering from headaches and is now unable to communicate after the trauma of having his brain tumour removed. His family cannot transport him from place to place without a customised Volvo costing £1,500 so Mr Nolan and his Barcelona Banger have stepped in to help.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 5 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 10 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
"If the taxi makes it back okay we're hoping to deliver the Volvo in convoy with a load of Harley Davidsons to Little Downham, where Joshua's grandmother lives. It would be great for him to see the Harleys arrive in his honour. We wanted to make an occasion of it for him."
For the bargain price of £1, sponsors can pay to have a message written on Mr Nolan's taxi. Swear words or political messages are at a premium price of £20.