Mammouth journey for £200 taxi
CAN a £200 taxi with a quarter of a million miles on the clock make it to Barcelona in just three days? Estate agent Marc Nolan, 48, is setting out on the mammoth journey today (Thursday) in his customised Barcelona Banger taxi. He and co-workers Marc S
CAN a £200 taxi with a quarter of a million miles on the clock make it to Barcelona in just three days?
Estate agent Marc Nolan, 48, is setting out on the mammoth journey today (Thursday) in his customised Barcelona Banger taxi.
He and co-workers Marc Southgate, 24, and Ian Allen from Harley's in Littleport are driving through France, then across the Pyrenees to raise money for seven-year-old Joshua Wilson, who was left paralysed after an operation to remove a brain tumour.
Mr Nolan's trip was originally planned to raise money for his local motorcycle club charity, but a chance meeting with Joshua's grandmother at a motorcycle show meant he changed his mind.
You may also want to watch:
"She signed up Joshua's name on the sponsorship list, but when she explained his story, I was moved to give Joshua the money instead," said Mr Nolan.
Joshua was taken to hospital after suffering from headaches and is now unable to communicate after the trauma of having his brain tumour removed. His family cannot transport him from place to place without a customised Volvo costing £1,500 so Mr Nolan and his Barcelona Banger have stepped in to help.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
"If the taxi makes it back okay we're hoping to deliver the Volvo in convoy with a load of Harley Davidsons to Little Downham, where Joshua's grandmother lives. It would be great for him to see the Harleys arrive in his honour. We wanted to make an occasion of it for him."
For the bargain price of £1, sponsors can pay to have a message written on Mr Nolan's taxi. Swear words or political messages are at a premium price of £20.