Malcolm Moss Warns Lessons Need To Be Learned From Local and Euro Elections
NORTH East Cambridgeshire MP Malcolm Moss expressed his delight at the results from last Thursday s local and European elections, but he warned that lessons need to be learnt from both UKIP and BNP gains. He said he was delighted that the Conservative Par
NORTH East Cambridgeshire MP Malcolm Moss expressed his delight at the results from last Thursday's local and European elections, but he warned that lessons need to be learnt from both UKIP and BNP gains.
He said he was delighted that the Conservative Party had extended their majority in Cambridgeshire County Council to 16 seats and in North East Cambridgeshire all the county council divisions now have Conservative councillors.
However he said was concerned at the recent gains made by the BNP in the European elections, where they gained their first seats and in local elections where their share of the vote increased:
"Whilst I am pleased at the election results there is a clear wake up call for all involved in politics, in particular this crumbling government," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"The BNP's gains ought to remind us of the need to address the issues of immigration and that we cannot continue have an open door policy.
"We must manage the influx of migrant labour otherwise we risk adding more pressure onto our creaking public services such the NHS, schools, housing, local authority services and public transport systems.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Dr Nik in Ely for his first day as Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mayor
- 3 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 4 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 5 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Eggs from Peregrine Falcons nesting on Ely Cathedral rooftop hatch
- 9 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 10 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
"As far as the UKIP results in the European elections are concerned this is a reminder to Parliament that there is still a very strong anti-European feeling among a wide swathe of the electorate"
Mr Moss said that, hopefully, David Cameron's promise of a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty will show many UKIP voters that the Conservative Party means business "in adopting a much tougher stance towards Europe and that this will bring many UKIP voters back into the fold for the next general election".