Making Ely a ‘lovelier place’: city’s fantastic floral displays recognised as Ely in Bloom winners are crowned
- Credit: Archant
The floral fanatics behind the display at Fairfax Court in Ely are celebrating after the outdoor space scooped the overall winners award at Ely in Bloom for the second consecutive year.
Councillor Alison Arnold, who organises and judges the competition every summer, announced the winners at the Maltings in the city this week.
The Mayor of Ely, Cllr Richard Hobbs, was on hand to present the awards to the lucky winners from five categories.
The winners of the small commercial category was Cathedral Veterinary Surgery, while the Cathedral Coffee Shop came first in the larger commercial category.
West End House scooped first prize in the Pubs, Hotels and B&Bs category, with the Prince Albert and Minster Tavern taking the runners-up spots.
You may also want to watch:
Fairfax Court also won best sheltered housing gardens and the best volunteer group went to the Ambulance Station from the Royal British Legion.
Deputy mayor of Ely, Cllr Mike Rouse, said: “Congratulations to all the winners and runners up.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
“As our mayor said, everyone’s efforts make Ely a lovelier place.”