Making Ely a ‘lovelier place’: city’s fantastic floral displays recognised as Ely in Bloom winners are crowned
- Credit: Archant
The floral fanatics behind the display at Fairfax Court in Ely are celebrating after the outdoor space scooped the overall winners award at Ely in Bloom for the second consecutive year.
Councillor Alison Arnold, who organises and judges the competition every summer, announced the winners at the Maltings in the city this week.
The Mayor of Ely, Cllr Richard Hobbs, was on hand to present the awards to the lucky winners from five categories.
The winners of the small commercial category was Cathedral Veterinary Surgery, while the Cathedral Coffee Shop came first in the larger commercial category.
West End House scooped first prize in the Pubs, Hotels and B&Bs category, with the Prince Albert and Minster Tavern taking the runners-up spots.
Fairfax Court also won best sheltered housing gardens and the best volunteer group went to the Ambulance Station from the Royal British Legion.
Deputy mayor of Ely, Cllr Mike Rouse, said: “Congratulations to all the winners and runners up.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 10 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
“As our mayor said, everyone’s efforts make Ely a lovelier place.”