Here’s all you need to know about what’s on at Ely Aquafest which takes place this Sunday by the river
- Credit: Archant
This Sunday (July7) will see the 41st Aquafest along the riverside in Ely.
Since it began in 1978 it has grown from very small event into a magnificent riverside gala for all the family.
The event is run by the two Rotary clubs in Ely and takes place on Lavender Green, Jubilee Gardens and the riverside between the two.
For those who have not attended before the real highlight of the day will be the raft race starting at 12:45.
There is also a scouts race preceding this and later in the afternoon spectacular Wakeboard demonstrations on the river, the first being at 2:30pm
Entertainment is provided on both greens including a birds of prey display, martial arts display, local dance groups and musicians. There will be fairground rides and attractions, MG owners club display, food and drinks stalls a plenty and many charity, information and craft stalls to occupy your time.
Entry is free but there are plenty of opportunities to buy a raffle ticket if you wish.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 7 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 8 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
For more information on everything that is happening please see the Aquafest website at www.elyaquafest.org.uk or look for the event on Facebook.
Jo Ash will be performing on July 7. She is currently making waves on the regional and national music scenes following the release of her critically acclaimed debut album 'Constellations', an eclectic collection of beautifully woven songs and tales.
Jo is proud to have appeared on BBC Radio, and to have been reviewed by the Musicians' Union publication 'The Musician'.
She has also been nominated twice for an NMG Award for Female Solo Artist. Jo will be joined by the combined talents of Mike Wheatley on guitar and Nigel Turner on bass. See her for yourselves and in the meantime check out http://www.joashmusic.com
All the arena acts are now finalised for Ely Aquafest on Sunday July 7, with some old favourites and some new faces:
On the River:
11:00 Scouts Race
12:45 Main Raft Race
2:30 Hannams's Wake Hub
4:00 Hannams Wake Hub
12:00 Opening by the Mayor of Ely
12:15 MG Display
1:15 Josh Robbins
1:45 Raptor Foundation
2:15 4th Dimension
3:15 Raptor Foundation
3:45 Bujinkhan Ninjutsu
4:15 4th Dimension
MC John Riley (Rotary Club of Ely)
11.00 Stalls open
12:15 Opening by the Mayor of Ely
1.00 Ely College Band - "Rockover Mountain"
1:35 - 2:15 Jacen Bruce
2:20 - 3:00 Chris Fox
3:05 - 3:45 The Jo Ash Trio
3:50 - 4:40 Michael Anthony with Tanisha and Molly
MC: Sue Marchant (BBC Radio Cambridgeshire)