Major Ely employer opens doors to students - potential employees of the future
- Credit: Archant
Students and teachers were invited to Thorlabs in Ely where staff showcased future employment opportunities for young people.
A spokesman said: “The ever growing company has recognised the need to engage with potential employees at an earlier stage in their education in order to meet rapidly growing, skilled workforce requirements.”
The visitors were greeted by the Thorlabs team and attended a presentation by general manager Dr Keith Dhese and Thorlabs most recently appointed graduate engineer Ieuan Guy.
Keith gave a brief overview of the company’s history - from one man and one machine in a garage, Thorlabs has grown to almost 2,000 people working across nine countries with a turnover in excess of $300m.
A spokesman said to accommodate growth the business is investing in a new £13m building on Lancaster Way which will be finished by the second half of 2018.
Ieuan spoke to students about his graduate scholarship programme and students were also given a tour of the Ely site.
They left with the promise of a science desk for their school laboratories.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
“Going forward Thorlabs will make visits to local schools and careers conventions as they continue to work towards a goal of supporting the Ely community as an employer by home growing their next generation of employees.”