Charity paddleboarders raising money for a new Magpas air ambulance stop off at Ely
- Credit: Archant
Two adventurers who are paddleboarding from Cambridge to Denver for charity made stop in Ely to meet supporters and have a bite to eat.
Justin Miles and Christian Bunke, who are raising funds for a new Magpas Air Ambulance, made a lunch stop at riverside restaurant The Cutter Inn.
Before making their way to King’s Lynn, the pair enjoyed an afternoon break in Ely where they were greeted with a picnic and welcome banners organised by local residents including Leonie Smith, who runs Ely Island Pie.
She tweeted: “At last, not long after the clouds parted and the sun came out, two weary paddleboarders arrived in #Ely, had a quick fish finger sandwich at The Cutter and were away again! So glad you stopped by.”
Two Magpas medics were also at the picnic to welcome Justin and Christian, and told everyone about their work and what the new ambulance will mean for their team.
After the picnic, the paddleboarders headed for a BBQ hosted by Fenland Bushcraft before travelling to their overnight camp in the pitch black at night.
Whilst journeying across the water, they are carrying bin liners to pick litter from the River Cam as they go – a ‘two minute beach clean’ as Justin called it on Twitter.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 8 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
After a morning coffee, Justin and Christian are now back on their paddleboard and on the way to King’s Lynn.
To follow their journey search @ExplorerJust on Twitter.