Lyn of Littleport invited to Stockholm to watch Duke and Duchess of Cambridge play bandy
- Credit: Archant
A Littleport woman was invited to Stockholm by the Swedish Bandy Association (SBA) to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge participating at a bandy session.
Lyn Gibb-de Swarte, president of the GB Bandy Federation, travelled to the open air ice rink at Vasaparketn on January 30 where Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, was presented with a Hammarby player’s shirt with his name on it. Hammarby is the leading bandy club in Stockholm.
The Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, was given a player’s shirt too – and the couple both had a go at shots on goal.
The pair then went to the country’s royal palace for a lunch hosted by the king, Carl XVI Gustaf.
Littleport was indirectly represented as the duchess wore a Burberry coat for the event, and the Burberry factory was based in Littleport, at Thomas Peacock’s Hope Brothers building, for many years.
Anders Hagbo, chief executive officer of Hammarby and the Zinken stadium, gave Lyn, and GBBF fixtures secretary Cathy Gibb-de Swarte, a preview of the shirts when they were guests of Hammarby on the Monday before the big day.
Club chairman Jan Henriksson, said: “We are looking forward to close co-operation and friendship between our bandy community in Sweden and the GBBF in the UK.”
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 7 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 10 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
The GBBF is now planning for an international rink bandy competition in conjunction with the SBA late August, with bandy sessions starting at Peterborough’s Planet Ice soon.
Now they have tasted bandy in Sweden, it is hoped that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the GB v Sweden rink bandy match in Cambridgeshire.