Lorry Driver Caught Speeding Four Times in Five Days
A LORRY driver working for Murfitts in Littleport was caught speeding four times within five days. But Rafal Szczubial escaped a driving ban this week, after telling Ely magistrates that he needed to keep his job, so he could use his wages to support his
A LORRY driver working for Murfitts in Littleport was caught speeding four times within five days.
But Rafal Szczubial escaped a driving ban this week, after telling Ely magistrates that he needed to keep his job, so he could use his wages to support his partner, and his mother in Poland.
Thirty-five-year-old Szczubial admitted four offences of breaking the 40 mph speed limit imposed on the Volvo lorry he was driving, on various dates between July 10 and 14. He had no idea that the vehicle he was driving was restricted to a 40 mph speed limit, he said.
All offences were committed on the A142 at Chatteris, he was driving at speeds between 50 and 53 mph, said prosecutor Laura Mardell.
You may also want to watch:
Szczubial was fined a total of £240, with £35 costs and a £15 surcharge.
- 1 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed