Long-serving councillor dies after giving almost 50 years service to villages
- Credit: Archant
Long-serving Haddenham councillor David Fairchild died just a few weeks short of the 50th anniversary of his election.
Cllr Fairchild was due to celebrate 50 years as a parish councillor on May 21 along with council colleague Robert Norman but he died at home on April 30.
However, Haddenham Parish Council is planning to go ahead with the ceremony, with a commemorative token given to his family instead as a thank you for his remarkable long service.
Last year, Cllr Fairchild was awarded the British Empire Medal in the Queen’s New Year’s honours list for services to the community in Haddenham and Aldreth.
Cllr Fairchild, 76, was a serving member of the parish council for 50 years and the chairman of the Arkenstall Centre committee for 42 years, attending 300 consecutive meetings.
You may also want to watch:
He also sat on the Haddenham Bonfire Committee, Haddenham Level Drainage Board and was president of the Haddenham Young Farmers Club.
Speaking at the time, he said it was “a real honour” to have been recognised for his work in the villages and added that he was looking forward to reaching his 50th year on the council.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 10 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
He said: “I haven’t told many people yet because we had to keep it secret but it’s quite something to have been recognised and I was delighted when I received the letter.”
He is survived by his partner Jane, sons Brian and Stephen and grandchildren Amy and Abigail.
Cllr David Lyon, chairman of Haddenham Parish Council, said: “David was a stalwart of the community and put a lot of his life into doing the best for the area. He will be greatly missed.”
A funeral service will take place at 2:30pm on May 14 in the Chewells Lane Cemetery, Haddenham, followed by a celebration afternoon tea in the Arkenstall Centre at 3pm.
Donations to Cancer Research and the Arkenstall Centre may be left at the tea or sent c/o A.G.Carter, 6 Froize End, Haddenham, CB6 3UQ.