Long night as district decides
MORE than 3,000 people took the opportunity to cast their votes by post when East Cambridgeshire went to the polls on Thursday night. By the time the polls closed at 10pm a further 21,769 people had added their crosses to ballot papers by visiting their l
MORE than 3,000 people took the opportunity to cast their votes by post when East Cambridgeshire went to the polls on Thursday night.
By the time the polls closed at 10pm a further 21,769 people had added their crosses to ballot papers by visiting their local polling stations, a turnout of 36.4 per cent.
Sealed ballot boxes from around the district were taken to Soham's Ross Peers Sports Centre where the count went on through the night before the final result was announced at 4.34am.
East Cambridgeshire District Council chief executive, John Hill, said: "It was another exciting night for democracy in East Cambridgeshire.
"We are sorry to say goodbye to members who have lost their seats but I know we have gained a large number of new and enthusiastic councillors."
The highest turnout was in the Bottisham ward with 47.1 per cent of voters going to the polls and the lowest was in Sutton, where 25.6 voted not only for two district council representatives but also for their county councillor.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 3 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 4 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 5 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 6 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 7 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 8 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 9 Woman dies following crash on A1303
- 10 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
The county council by-election had been called after Cllr Philip Bailey stood down due to work commitments.
The seat was won by Conservative Philip Read with 1,077 votes.