Local heroes honoured
A SPECIAL Service of Commemoration will take place at Ely Cathedral on Saturday, exactly 90 years to the day that the Cambridgeshire Regiment stormed the Schwaben Redoubt. The service will begin at 1.15pm in the presence of the Colonel-in Chief, The Duke
A SPECIAL Service of Commemoration will take place at Ely Cathedral on Saturday, exactly 90 years to the day that the Cambridgeshire Regiment stormed the Schwaben Redoubt.
The service will begin at 1.15pm in the presence of the Colonel-in Chief, The Duke of Gloucester followed by a presentation at the Hayward Theatre.
In addition to members of the Cambridgeshire Regiment Association and other dignitaries, the organisers are delighted that family members of those who fought at the Battle of Schwaben Redoubt will be amongst the guests.
Martin Boswell, curator of uniforms, personal equipment and flags, for the Imperial War Museum, London said: "The main aim of this commemoration service is to raise the awareness of as many people as possible to this brave achievement by the Cambridgeshire Regiment on October 14. The success of the operation was down to Brigadier-General Edward Riddell, an excellent and daring leader of his men. His plan was meticulously worked out and his officers were given the opportunity to make their own decisions as the battle raged. This made a significant difference."
You may also want to watch:
After the Schwaben Redoubt in 1917 the Cambridgeshire's adopted their Battalion identification flash, light blue for Cambridge with a black stripe in honour of Riddle who originally came from the Rifle Brigade and whose colour was black.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens