East Cambs Lib Dem councillor takes the chair of key committee
- Credit: Lorna Dupre
A local councillor will play a major part in the rainbow alliance that has taken control of the county council.
Lib Dem Lorna Dupre of Sutton will chair the environment and green investment committee.
It is one of the top six committees.
Cllr Dupre is among a group of women from both Lib Dems and Labour that occupy two thirds of the 18 committee chairs and vice chairs of the new council.
Of the 61 council seats, Conservatives with 28 remain the largest party.
You may also want to watch:
But an alliance of Liberal Democrats (20 seats), Labour (9) and independents (4) has gained control.
Cllr Dupre was at Shire Hall, Cambridge, on Friday when a two-year power sharing agreement was signed.
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 3 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 4 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 5 Mayor's ‘hop-on hop-off' public travel revolution
- 6 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 7 Author opens school’s new library
- 8 Town considers home for market
- 9 Village housing in disarray after all the trustees quit
- 10 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
“Our joint administration will come to power after years of Government cuts,” said the alliance.
“These have left our vital services chronically under-funded compared to the needs of the people we seek to serve.”
With Cllr Dupre tweeting of “James Palmer's empire crashing” as a new Labour mayor took office, she believes “the dynamics of the next four years will be very different”.