Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
- Credit: Archant / Cllr Lorna Dupre
Showers are to be made available without charge to disabled members of the public at the Hive Leisure Centre in Ely.
It has been confirmed that the £3 charge has been removed following a plea by Lib Dem opposition leader Lorna Dupre and supported by council leader Anna Bailey.
Cllr Dupre asked for the charge to be removed at East Cambridgeshire District Council’s finance and assets committee meeting on June 23.
“I asked about access to the changing places facilities at The Hive for non-members with disabilities and was told that while access to the toilet was free, there was a £3 charge for the showers,” she said.
“I was shocked by this, not least because this is the only changing places facility in East Cambridgeshire.”
Cllr Bailey said that she “supported” Cllr Dupre.
Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL) which runs The Hive on behalf of the council confirmed that “anyone who requires the use of the changing places facilities may also use the showers at no charge.
- 1 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 2 Jury deliberates in trial of driver accused of causing baby’s death
- 3 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
- 4 'Why not have two stations?' - Villagers air their views on £37m rail project
- 5 ‘It went excellently’ - annual classic car show returns to city
- 6 Jury to go out in trial of driver accused of causing toddler's death
- 7 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
- 8 Football club hosting 12-hour non-stop charity kickathon this weekend
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
“For other users, we have universal pricing for non-members with a small charge to use the showers.”
Cllr Dupre said: “I’m very pleased that my request for the shower charge to be removed has been answered so positively.”
Cllr Bailey said: "Thank you to GLL for confirming so swiftly that users of the Changing Places Toilet at The Hive Leisure Centre on Downham Road in Ely are welcome to use the shower facilities at no cost.
"We have also taken steps to ensure The Hive is included on the map on the Changing Places Toilet website to help get the right information to anyone that might be looking."