Cinderella makes a comeback thanks to Players' Christmas pantomime
- Credit: Vanessa Wheeler
The Littleport Players presented panto at its best last weekend, with four spectacular performances of Cinderella.
After a two-year hiatus due to the pandemic, every show was sold out.
Directed by Karen Booth, produced and choreographed by Rebekah Smith, and with Becky Smith playing Ugly Sister Grizelda, the talented cast brought the age-old story to sparkling life.
With musical maestro Mark Checkley and his band of merry men providing a professional soundtrack, the costumes were magnificently made by award-winning costumier Sheila Goodall.
The dance routines received rapturous applause and the tunes were sung along to with gusto by the appreciative audience of all ages who loudly booed and cheered (mostly booed) in all the right places!
After the Sunday matinee at Littleport and East Cambs Academy, director Karen Booth enthusiastically thanked everyone.
She said: “I have been so pleased with our great audiences at every performance who showed so much appreciation and with all the dedicated actors who gave them such sterling entertainment.
- 1 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 2 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 3 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 4 Police alert fire service to motor home engulfed in flames
- 5 This is YOUR town’s future says council – tell us what you think?
- 6 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
- 7 Thief stole eight M&S steaks to the value of £120
- 8 They're off - large crowds gather for Cambridgeshire County Day
- 9 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 10 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
"As for the music, keyboard virtuoso Mark Checkley and the band, Colin Braysher on drums and Pete Theobald on guitar, were amazing.
"And Rebekah Smith superbly crafted all the dance routines, for which the entire cast of the Littleport Players thank all of them.
"The tech guys, too - Chris Rose and Johnny Jarvis - made sure we had no technical hitches.
"Props are so important so special thanks to Sean Cooper and Sue Caller for them."
The Littleport Players received sponsorship from local businesses that enabled them to give Cinderella such a great comeback.
They would like to thank D. Silcock Construction, TW Electrical, NPS Fencing, SMC Patios and Fencing, Mark A Bennett Plumbing and Heating.
The cast was Amy Moulder as Cinderella, Megan Bidecant as Buttons, Jack Barry as Baron, Chloe Phillips Bartlett as Baroness, Chelsea Booth as Gertrude, Becky Smith as Grizelda, Jack Wright as Chambers, Jack Byng as Prince, Charlotte Dockerty as Dandini, Mandy Morrish as Bodget, Claire Lees as Legett, Hannah Ridley as Fairy Godmother and Jessica Gillett-Woodley as villager.
The ensemble also included Millie Evans, Jorja Double, Charlotte Robinson, Lily Ridley and Jessica Norman.