Littleport man Graham goes coast to coast for charity
FORMER Littleport man Graham Loveday trekked a whopping 300km across the UK to raise funds for his three-year-old granddaughter Abby Pike, who has Rett Syndrome.
The bright-eyed toddler, from Glandore, in Australia, developed the rare neurological disorder from birth, which means she will probably never be able to walk or talk.
Grandfather Graham, who moved from Littleport out to South Australia more than a decade ago, set out on his 17-day trek from coast to coast a fortnight ago week and hopes to raise much-needed funds to support the search for a cure.
He said: “I’ve got a bit of a swollen foot but other than that there were no real problems, it was a fantastic walk and I met lots of people on the way who had stories to tell and advice to share.
“I have managed to raise about �2,900 so far and I’m hoping to build on that good start in the weeks to come.”
You may also want to watch:
Rett Syndrome is a disorder that affects about one in 15,000 girls. After a period of normal growth and development girls stop developing and then regress. Most do not speak, can not walk, lose purposeful use of their hands and many suffer scoliosis, seizures, cardiac problems, breathing issues, anxiety and disrupted sleep patterns.
For Abby, it also means she also has to battle scoliosis – curvature of the spine – and suffers epilepsy.
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
For information, or not donate, go to justgiving.com/abbypike.