Littleport Lions Club calls for 2,000 more spare spectacles so they can reach their Christmas target of 10,000
- Credit: Archant
The Lions Club of Littleport is appealing for local people to donate spare spectacles to help reach their target of 10,000.
David Ellis, of the club, said: “Over the past two years our club has collected over 8,000 pairs of used spectacles to be used, mainly, in third world countries.
“They also go to homeless charities in the UK. The glasses are sent to our Chichester club for checking and then transported free of charge to Le Havre in France for grading.
“Every part of the frame and glasses - even broken ones are used. With your help we would like to top the 10,000 mark by Christmas.”
One 93-year-old man from Honduras thanked the lions for their support, writing “I can now read my bible for the first time in 15 years.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone wishing to get involved should take their old spectacles to Wades in High Street, Ely, Vison Express in Tesco, Angel Drove in Ely, Loach & Wades in Littleport, and Soham or Witchford post office.
For more information email email@example.com or call 07817 592438.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 Man found dead in March