Littleport Is The Preferred Location For a New Secondary School, It Has Been Announced
LITTLEPORT has been put forward by councillors as the preferred location for the new secondary school set to be built in East Cambridgeshire. Cambridgeshire County Council (CCC) announced in February that plans were in place to build a new secondary schoo
LITTLEPORT has been put forward by councillors as the preferred location for the new secondary school set to be built in East Cambridgeshire.
Cambridgeshire County Council (CCC) announced in February that plans were in place to build a new secondary school in the area and district councillors agreed this week to lend their support to building the school in Littleport.
At a meeting of full council last Thursday, councillors agreed to write to officers in Cambridge outlining their support for the Littleport option, whilst also recommending that officers consider improving post 16 education in Ely and across the district.
Chairman of the Littleport Society, Grenville Goodson welcomed the move: "I fully support the council's decision to recommend Littleport," he said. "I have been saying ever since the old school was demolished that we needed a new secondary school and I hope very much that it will be approved.
You may also want to watch:
"If we want to keep the younger generation in Littleport and we want the town to develop then we need to have a secondary school, we are bussing hundreds of youngsters into Ely every day and it is just not viable any more."
County councillor David Brown, chairman of external partnerships review committee, said: "After much discussion at various committees we felt the best option was for the provision of a new school in Littleport.
- 1 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 5 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 6 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 7 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 8 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 9 Election 2021: Counting gets under way in East Cambridgeshire
- 10 Footballer hopes Wembley 'dream' can bolster Cambridge career
"We felt this would be sustainable in terms of reducing the dependence on school transport and helping to assist with the growth of Littleport. We will be sending our conclusions through to the county council and look forward to reading their report."
WHAT DO YOU THINK
Are you shocked that there people sleeping rough in Ely? Should they be moved on?