LITTLEPORT: Investigation Launched After Fire Destorys Cars and Temporary Buildings
AN investigation has been launched into the cause of a fire at a house in Littleport on Bank Holiday Monday. The main road through the village was closed for several hours as fire crews tackled the blaze, which destroyed eight cars, a camper van and three
AN investigation has been launched into the cause of a fire at a house in Littleport on Bank Holiday Monday. The main road through the village was closed for several hours as fire crews tackled the blaze, which destroyed eight cars, a camper van and three temporary buildings.
Fire-fighters found vehicles and buildings well-alight when they arrived at the property on Wisbech Road just before 1pm.
They were forced to withdraw to fight the fire from a safe distance after a number of gas cylinders behind the house exploded.
Incident commander Harry Edge said: "It was a tricky fire to tackle because of the scale of the fire and the fact gas cylinders were involved.
You may also want to watch:
"However we were able to cool the remaining cylinders and stop the fire spreading to the house."
The Littleport to Wisbech Road was closed for more than two hours, as crews from Littleport, Ely, Soham and Cambridge, battled the flames.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 3 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 4 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 7 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 8 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
- 9 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 10 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
The cause of the fire remains unknown. Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said an investigation would begin today (Tuesday).