Littleport HiTech Firm Cuts Workforce by Ten Per Cent
REDUNDANCIES have been announced at a manufacturing plant in Littleport. A member of staff at JDR Cable Systems Ltd confirmed 19 people were made redundant yesterday (Monday). The international company, who won the contract to supply underwater cabling
REDUNDANCIES have been announced at a manufacturing plant in Littleport.
A member of staff at JDR Cable Systems Ltd confirmed 19 people were made redundant yesterday (Monday).
The international company, who won the contract to supply underwater cabling to the world's largest offshore windfarm last year, and has a string of clients in the oil and gas industry, is the latest high-technology business to fall prey to falling orders caused by a drop in the oil and gas prices.
A source at the company said further redundancies could not be ruled out unless orders picked up over coming months.
You may also want to watch:
Patrick Phelan, the firm's managing director, issued the following statement:
"JDR Cable Systems Ltd in Littleport is predicting a reduction in workload for 2009 compared with the record levels experienced in 2008. There is a slowdown in the oil & gas industry following the reduction in world oil price in recent months. Regrettably, it has been necessary to reduce the number of staff employed by approximately 1per cent, and after a consultation period, 19 jobs became redundant on 26th January 2009. The company has diversified into offshore renewable energy in recent years, and it is hoped that the increase in demand for offshore windfarms, as well as a return to higher oil prices later in the year, will initiate another period of business growth.
- 1 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
- 2 £2m in government funding secured to explore A10 improvements
- 3 Man dies in A11 ditch crash
- 4 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 5 New chief executive for combined authority will earn up to £200k a year
- 6 'Most significant' Fens archive footage in years
- 7 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 8 Mum overwhelmed by support for 'angel gowns' project
- 9 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 10 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned