Littleport Brass Band promoted to first section of competition for the first time in its history
LITTLEPORT Brass Band has qualified for the national Brass Band Championships of Great Britain, to be held in Cheltenham in September.
The 26-strong band - which has just changed its name to Littleport Brass - won the right to play at the prestigious finals, after coming third in the London and Southern Counties regional contest.
This success also moved Littleport Brass p to the first section of competition - equivalent to the championship division in football - for the first time in their history, Only the Championship class is above that, including some bands with professional players.
Press officer Shaun Pope said: “It was a well deserved podium finish. After coming 4th in the last two years and just missing out, we really pushed hard. We also knew we could also secure promotion with a good performance.
“Everyone is so pleased with our result and it was a tremendous achievement to gain promotion. We feel ready to make the step up to the First Section.”
You may also want to watch:
The band plays under the musical directorship of Nigel Bramley, a solo cornet in the GUS Band, which is a championship section band.
There is a chance to see the band perform locally this summer. They will be playing in the bandstand at Ely’s Jubilee Gardens on Sunday May 20, from 2.30pm to 4.40pm and the band is giving a concert at St Mary’s Church, Ely, on the evening of June 16.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 9 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 10 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named