‘One of a kind’ Little Gift Shop in Soham forced to close
- Credit: Archant
The closure of a ‘one of a kind’ gift shop in Soham has been described as “a real loss” by customers and The Soham Town Team.
The Little Gift Shop, owned by Sarah Cawthorne, is to close because the new landlord wants to move his own business in.
“Sarah has been a great champion for independents and a key member in Soham’s Town Team promotions,” said the Soham Town Team group. “We wish you all the very best.”
In a Facebook post, Sarah explained why she is closing the shop at 16 Churchgate Street.
“Little did I know, when I started having craft stalls in 2011 that this would lead to me becoming a self-employed crafter, then an agent for nearly 90 other crafters with The Patchwork Poppy, and then a shop keeper with The Little Gift Shop.
You may also want to watch:
“I have absolutely loved this time and especially enjoyed sourcing my stock from all over the world, sitting in my pretty shop doing my crochet, and above all, meeting all my lovely customers.
“But, nothing is forever, and during 2017, the landlord of my shop decided to sell the premises.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 3 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 4 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 9 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 10 Open air theatre is back in Ely this weekend
“The new landlord bought the building to run his own business in, and so he will not be renewing my lease.
“I would like to thank my family and friends for their continual support, and my customers for making the last three years as The Little Gift Shop so wonderful.
Diana Andrews, a regular at the gift shop, said: “So proud of you and all you have achieved. You are such an inspirational person in so many ways.
“Also just about the kindest, most loving person I know. I know that what ever you turn your hand to will be a success.
“I loved the Little Gift Shop and will really miss it.”
Another person said: “We will really miss you and Soham won’t be the same. Thank you for adding a lovely presence and presents to Soham.”
A third person added: “What a treasure you and your gorgeous shop have been to the high street.”
The Little Gift Shop offered “an eclectic mix of gifts and accessories from around the world, and hand-made items from closer to home” according to its Facebook page.