Free Christmas meals for people living alone or in need
- Credit: DAVE EVANS
Residents of Ely and East Cambridgeshire who live alone or are in need will be able to get a free Christmas meal thanks to local organisations and volunteers.
Local organisations that are working to make it happen include Crucial Cuisine, Descensus Masonic Lodge, LuvEly, Prospects Trust Unwrapped, The Rotary Club and Waitrose.
Sallyann Ford, of the Lighthouse Centre, said: "Many local people have donated time and money to this. We are truly blown away this year.
"It's been difficult for so many, yet the generosity of the people of Ely and the surrounding villages is astounding.
"With more people on their own this Christmas than ever before it seems this year it is even more crucial that we are able to offer this to our community."
She added that, while Prime Minister Boris Johnson said 'if you have an elderly relative, you might want to delay seeing them until they’ve been vaccinated', "the full vaccine course is weeks away and we understand that people want to stay safe.
"So with both these things in mind and thanks to the generosity of Ely we are now offering our Christmas Day meal free of charge."
- 1 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 2 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 5 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 6 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 9 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 10 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
To book a meal for yourself or someone else you can contact The Lighthouse Centre by phone on 01353 662228 or email email@example.com
The last chance to book is Wednesday December 23.