Lidl Launches New Bid To Come To Ely
LIDL has relaunched its bid to come to Ely – for the third time. The new application is on exactly the same site at Angel Drove – opposite Tesco – but with 12 extra car parking spaces. Planners and councillors rejected Lidl s plans for a 1,000square foo
LIDL has relaunched its bid to come to Ely - for the third time.
The new application is on exactly the same site at Angel Drove - opposite Tesco - but with 12 extra car parking spaces.
Planners and councillors rejected Lidl's plans for a 1,000square foot store back in May.
A majority of Tory councillors and planning officials agreed that four other locations, all on Lisle Lane, would be preferable as, according to planning regulations, they are on the edge of the town centre and less likely to harm city centre trade.
You may also want to watch:
But Lidl, buoyed by support from the Liberal Democrats, has returned undaunted. They insist that the site, which would pick up on passing trade from Tesco, is the most commercially viable.
Wendy Hurst, Lidl's acquisitions manager told the Ely Standard "We were really disappointed with the result because it was such a close verdict and are hopeful for the future."
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
Ms Hurst thanked members of the public for their continued support.