Liberal Democrats elect new East Cambs leader
LIBERAL Democrats have elected a new leader to take the fight to the Tories in East Cambridgeshire after their previous chief resigned in protest.
Haddenham councillor Gareth Wilson will now lead the nine-strong Liberal Democrat group on East Cambs District Council after Ian Allen quit over his disagreements with the Coalition Government in Westminster.
His deputy will be Littleport West councillor Neil Morrison, who is also chairman of the Party in the district.
Cllr Wilson, who has represented Haddenham for nine years and also sits on the village’s parish council, said: “I am grateful to my colleagues for honouring me with this responsibility and will do all I can to fulfil their expectations.
“The Liberal Democrats in East Cambridgeshire have a long history of campaigning for services that provide benefits to all sections of the community, and we look forward to continuing with those aims.”
You may also want to watch:
The vacancy arose when Cllr Allen decided to switch to being an independent as he could “no longer support coalition policies that are unfairly directed at worsening the lives of the least well off in society”.
He added: “While some would seek to promote the idea that there are political gains from being in coalition, I can only see the losses to the most vulnerable in society as the Lib Dems in Westminster jointly embark on policies that undermine the welfare state.”
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 5 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 6 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 9 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 10 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam