Lib Dem heavyweight issues rallying cry ahead of next year’s election
- Credit: Archant
Former Liberal Democrat party leader Paddy Ashdown took time out from his busy promotional tour to give a rousing speech to party members in Ely.
Mr Ashdown was in Ely’s St Peter’s Church to promote his new book, The Cruel Victory – a look at the efforts of the French Resistance to drive out the Nazi occupiers in the aftermath of D-Day.
Afterwards, Mr Ashdown held a special reception with members of the Cambridgeshire Liberal Democrat group in Egremont Street, Ely, issuing a rallying cry ahead of next year’s General Election.
Councillor Gareth Wilson, leader of the Lib Dem group at East Cambridgeshire District Council, attended with his wife, and fellow councillor, Pauline.
He said: “Paddy stressed how necessary it was for the Lib Dems to fight hard against the extreme right wing views that the other parties seems to falling over themselves to promote.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a very pleasant evening for all party members and Paddy was very nice and supportive.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound