Lib Dem heavyweight issues rallying cry ahead of next year’s election
- Credit: Archant
Former Liberal Democrat party leader Paddy Ashdown took time out from his busy promotional tour to give a rousing speech to party members in Ely.
Mr Ashdown was in Ely’s St Peter’s Church to promote his new book, The Cruel Victory – a look at the efforts of the French Resistance to drive out the Nazi occupiers in the aftermath of D-Day.
Afterwards, Mr Ashdown held a special reception with members of the Cambridgeshire Liberal Democrat group in Egremont Street, Ely, issuing a rallying cry ahead of next year’s General Election.
Councillor Gareth Wilson, leader of the Lib Dem group at East Cambridgeshire District Council, attended with his wife, and fellow councillor, Pauline.
He said: “Paddy stressed how necessary it was for the Lib Dems to fight hard against the extreme right wing views that the other parties seems to falling over themselves to promote.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a very pleasant evening for all party members and Paddy was very nice and supportive.”
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 3 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 6 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 7 Contractors 'did not follow the brief' when it came to drain maintenance
- 8 Cineworld Ely expected to reopen in May
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 Lunging challenge in boyfriend's memory raises thousands for charity