Liam Undergoes Lung Surgery
LIAM Fairhurst has undergone nine hours of gruelling lung surgery. The 13-year-old was admitted to Addenbrooke s Hospital in Cambridge earlier in the week and underwent surgery on Wednesday. Liam s dad Mark said: He has had two lobes taken from his rig
LIAM Fairhurst has undergone nine hours of gruelling lung surgery. The 13-year-old was admitted to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge earlier in the week and underwent surgery on Wednesday.
Liam's dad Mark said: "He has had two lobes taken from his right lung, which equates to about 50% capacity of the right side."
According to surgeons the early signs are that the operation has gone well and the Fairhurst family are hopeful that this marks the end of Liam's cancer.
Liam, who is a pupil at Soham Village College, has worked tirelessly to raise money for the children's cancer charity CLIC Sargent. Currently, the total stands at more that £150,000. Liam was told recently that Prime Minister Gordon Brown was going to donate a bottle of whisky which has been signed by his cabinet for Liam to auction on-line.
You may also want to watch:
Liam, was originally diagnosed with a cancerous growth in his leg and although he recovered well, a routine scan in February last year revealed that the cancer has returned and spread to his lungs.
The Ely Standard launched its Liam's Fund campaign at this time to support Liam's fund-raising efforts and also to highlight the CLIC Sargent charity and the work it does nationally to support children with cancer and their families.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation