Liam nominated for award
LIAM Fairhurst, Soham s fund-raising phenomenon, has been nominated for a national Young Person of the Year award for raising £75,000 for charity. The 12-year-old has been nominated for his efforts in support of Clic Sargent, the children s cancer support
LIAM Fairhurst, Soham's fund-raising phenomenon, has been nominated for a national Young Person of the Year award for raising £75,000 for charity.
The 12-year-old has been nominated for his efforts in support of Clic Sargent, the children's cancer support charity that has helped Liam and his family through his treatment for cancer.
Founder of the Young People of the Year, or YOPEY awards, Tony Gearing, said: "Liam is an excellent YOPEY not because he is ill, but because he is giving so much to others through his considerable fundraising.
"Let's hope he beats cancer a second time and will be fit and well to attend our awards ceremony this summer."
You may also want to watch:
The awards recognise positive young role models.
- Entrepreneur and star of Dragon's Den, Duncan Bannatyne OBE, pictured right, has backed Soham youngster Liam Fairhurst's bid to raise £100,000 for children's cancer charity Clic Sargent.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
Mr Bannatyne has sent 12-year-old Liam a copy of his autobiography with a message of support. The 58-year old leisure magnate met Liam when the youngster appeared on ITV1's Fortune: Million Pound Giveaway; Mr Bannatyne is one of a panel of millionaires on the show and was visibly moved when Liam made an emotional appeal to secure £50,000 for Clic Sargent.
Mr Banntyne told the Ely Standard: "Liam is one of the nicest, bravest and selfless people it has ever been my privilege to meet."