Liam nominated for award
LIAM Fairhurst, Soham s fund-raising phenomenon, has been nominated for a national Young Person of the Year award for raising £75,000 for charity. The 12-year-old has been nominated for his efforts in support of Clic Sargent, the children s cancer support
LIAM Fairhurst, Soham's fund-raising phenomenon, has been nominated for a national Young Person of the Year award for raising £75,000 for charity.
The 12-year-old has been nominated for his efforts in support of Clic Sargent, the children's cancer support charity that has helped Liam and his family through his treatment for cancer.
Founder of the Young People of the Year, or YOPEY awards, Tony Gearing, said: "Liam is an excellent YOPEY not because he is ill, but because he is giving so much to others through his considerable fundraising.
"Let's hope he beats cancer a second time and will be fit and well to attend our awards ceremony this summer."
The awards recognise positive young role models.
- Entrepreneur and star of Dragon's Den, Duncan Bannatyne OBE, pictured right, has backed Soham youngster Liam Fairhurst's bid to raise £100,000 for children's cancer charity Clic Sargent.
- 1 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 2 Post office and village shop moves into old Baptist chapel
- 3 Baby murder trial jury told dad was angry at social services involvement
- 4 Aspiring photographer, 10, captures Ely's winter sunrise on camera
- 5 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 6 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 7 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 8 Sewage upgrade to continue in village with two-way traffic lights
- 9 Baby murder trial told of midwife's concerns
- 10 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
Mr Bannatyne has sent 12-year-old Liam a copy of his autobiography with a message of support. The 58-year old leisure magnate met Liam when the youngster appeared on ITV1's Fortune: Million Pound Giveaway; Mr Bannatyne is one of a panel of millionaires on the show and was visibly moved when Liam made an emotional appeal to secure £50,000 for Clic Sargent.
Mr Banntyne told the Ely Standard: "Liam is one of the nicest, bravest and selfless people it has ever been my privilege to meet."