Liam given royal welcome at Diana concert
LIAM Fairhurst was given a right royal welcome at the Princess Diana concert at the new Wembley Stadium on Sunday. More than 80 inspirational young people, who hold the Diana Award, were honoured by Princes William and Harry at a special lunch party to ma
LIAM Fairhurst was given a right royal welcome at the Princess Diana concert at the new Wembley Stadium on Sunday.
More than 80 inspirational young people, who hold the Diana Award, were honoured by Princes William and Harry at a special lunch party to mark the Concert for Diana, which was watched by millions around the world.
The Diana Award, set up in 1999 by the Government's Memorial Committee and launched as independent charity on February 15 this year by Gordon Brown.
Award Holders include young people who have been brave or overcome immense personal difficulties, as well as young carers, fundraisers and campaigners.
You may also want to watch:
Liam, aged 12, has raised more than £100,000 for the children's cancer charity CLiC Sargent. He raised the money in just over one year, during which time he was recovering from cancer. In February this year, Liam and his family were told the devastating news that the cancer had returned, but just a few weeks after completing treatment, Liam has resumed his fund-raising activities and learn two weeks ago that he had reached his target.
Maggie Turner, director of the Diana Award said: "In the 10th anniversary year of Princess Diana's tragic death her memory continues to inspire young people to help others. It's wonderful to think that their contribution to their communities is being recognised by the Princes at this lunch party. All across the UK there are courageous, caring, compassionate young people who are an inspiration to all of us. We welcome nominations from them."
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Elton John headlined the all-day concert at Wembley, also on the bill were Take That and Duran Duran.