LETTER: ‘I would like to bring it to the attention of your readers the selfishness of these types of cyclists’
- Credit: Archant
I would like to bring it to the attention of your readers the selfishness of these types of cyclists.
The road is Duxford to Ickleton and is a busy road and bus route. However we are continually being subjected to this manner of cycling i.e. four abreast and in a convoy.
They never seem to think they should get into single file when vehicles are present and want to pass. If you try to encourage them to move over, one gets expletives and hand gestures!
Why is it that bikes that use the same amount of road as an HGV vehicle, take no test, pay no road tax or insurance and can go at speeds exceeding 30mph, even sometimes using a mobile phone is perfectly OK and acceptable? Is it because they because they are being environmentally friendly and keeping fit at the same time?
Has one thought of the fumes we create when we have to crawl along behind them and break sharply if one suddenly decides to pull around a mate for a more intimate chat. They do give an ounce of concern about the queue mounting behind them and that a vehicle could be trying to overtake.
Cycle by all means....but more rules and considerations in my opinion is needed urgently especially after more and more cyclists are being involved in accidents.
Why should it just be drivers that must ‘think bike’? A lot of cyclists don’t think bus, lorry, car, motorbike and even pedestrians, when suddenly they decide not to use the road and mount the pavement to avoid queuing traffic.
- 1 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 2 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 3 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 4 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 5 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 6 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 7 Stress, anxiety, mental health and depression prompt rise in days off
- 8 Woman dies following crash on A1303
- 9 Three officers commended for 2021 Boat Race policing
- 10 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
P MUNSON (Mrs)