Lengthy ban for drug driver
DRIVING home from a friend’s house after smoking a celebratory cannabis joint ultimately landed birthday girl Rikki Graham with one present she would rather forget…a 12-month driving ban.
Pleading guilty to a charge of driving while unfit through drugs, the 23-year-old was also fined �100 and ordered to pay �85 court costs and a �15 victim surcharge by magistrates in Cambridge on Thursday.
Scheherazade Haque, prosecuting, told the court that the 23-year-old was driving home in the early hours of March 26 through Fordham when she was spotted by on duty officer Sgt ??????? Walker.
The officer noticed she was driving unusually slow and decided to follow her. Though the vehicle remained within the speed limit, he noticed that the 23-year-old’s blue Ford Ka was drifting across the road and failed to speed up when the limit of the road changed from 30mph to 60mph.
The officer decided to stop the vehicle and reported that Graham, of St Alban’s Way in Thetford, Norfolk was slurring her speech, smelt strongly of cannabis and was unsteady on her feet.
You may also want to watch:
After being taken to Parkside Police Station in Cambridge, Graham was put through a series of impairment tests.
“She was swaying and lost her balance consistently,” said Haque, “She was unable to do the ‘touch the nose’ test, ending up touching her lip instead.”
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
A blood test later revealed there were traces of cannabis derivatives in Graham’s system and she was arrested.
Representing herself in court, Graham said: “Because it was my birthday I went round a friend’s house and had half a cannabis cigarette to celebrate.
“I’m so sorry about it, I’m normally a very sensible person.”