Landowner earmarks almost 80 acres for new solar farm
- Credit: Archant
The rush to utilise East Cambridgeshire’s fen farmland for green energy production showed no sign of slowing this week as a farmer in Stretham entered fresh plans for a 77-acre solar farm.
FC Palmer and Sons has applied to East Cambridgeshire District Council to convert crop-growing farmland south of Cross Drove into a 20-megawatt solar farm.
Agents acting for FC Palmer said that the land could still be used for grazing or crop production when the solar panels have been installed and added that planting and “habitat creation” would help screen the panels from public view.
They said: “Overall, and on balance, the development is considered to be positive and sympathetic to the wider environment.
“Land take will be minimal, in so much as the majority of the site can still be used for agricultural purposes, so ensuring farming practices can continue.
You may also want to watch:
“The renewable energy project will not produce detrimental emissions but will contribute to the power needs of the nation, so helping meet the country’s obligations on climate change.”
Installed the 84,000 solar panels required for the development will take approximately 300 HGV trips, the applicants said.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
A decision on the plans is expected within the next eight weeks. Visit www.eastcambs.gov.uk to view the plans.
WHAT DO YOU THINK? IS TOO MUCH FARMLAND BEING USED FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY? E-mail Daniel.firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Ely Standard, Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4AF.