Author Lady Glenconner gives royal speech at NSPCC luncheon
- Credit: Archant
The NSPCC Ely committee was given an insight into the Royal Family by special guest speaker Lady Anne Glenconner.
The author and friend of the Royal Family was at the committee's fundraising luncheon to talk about her Lady in Waiting: My Life in the Shadow of the Crown.
Known as a close friend and lady-in-waiting to Princess Margaret, her speech discussed her close relationship with The Queen, the princess and how her book was inspired by the TV series The Crown.
She also spoke about her friendship with Helena Bonham-Carter, who is currently playing Princess Margaret and sought out Lady Anne to help her portray the princess.
The money raised will support campaigns including Speak Out, Stay Safe which teaches children to recognise the signs of abuse and speak out to a trusted adult. Lady Anne said: "I have supported many children's charities throughout my life and the NSPCC is well known for all its good work."
You may also want to watch:
Sylvia Farmer, chairwoman of Ely Dining Club, said: "We strongly believe in all the work the NSPCC do and want to support it as much as we possibly can.
"The funds we have raised will go a long way to aiding children that have been subjected to abuse and neglect and we hope that every penny will go towards making a positive difference to their lives."
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 9 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 10 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal