Labour opts for Huw Jones as their candidate to fight the June 8 General Election in SE Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
Huw Jones has been selected as Labour’s candidate for the SE Cambs constituency to fight the June 8 General Election.
Mr Jones fought the seat in 2015 and doubled his party’s share of the vote to 15 per cent – and came third behind Lucy Frazer for the Tories with Lib Dem Jonathan Chatfield in second place.
Labour’s candidate lives in South East Cambridgeshire and is employed as a crop scientist, currently working on projects with Philippine and Ghanaian researchers. He’s been a longstanding governor of Impington Village College and is a member of the Morris Educational Trust. I
Hobbies include helping with the annual village firework display in his home village raising cash for village schools. In 2016 he was in involved in delivering aid to refugees in Calais.
“Histon is my home,” he said. “I live and work in South East Cambridgeshire and I am proud to be Labour’s candidate for June’s general election.
You may also want to watch:
“This Tory government has overseen the biggest cuts to our public services in a generation. The NHS and social care is in crisis, our local schools are struggling under the weight of the budget cuts and cuts to police budgets are putting our safety at risk.
“People here in South East Cambridgeshire need a local representative that will put them first. I will work tirelessly between now and June to let local people know that this general election will be a choice between a Labour Party that will stand up for the people of South East Cambridgeshire or a Conservative Party that only looks after the privileged few.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
Gareth Wright, Secretary of South East Cambridgeshire Labour Party, added: “I welcome the appointment of Huw Jones as Labour’s Candidate for South East Cambridgeshire for June’s general election.
“As someone who lives in the constituency, I know that if elected, he will put this area first and will be a committed and local MP – that’s what South East Cambridgeshire deserves.
“Over the coming weeks I will be joining Huw on the campaign trail and am looking forward to supporting him as Labour’s candidate.”