Kitchen fire started after grill was accidentally turned on
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters were called after a fire broke out in a kitchen in Ely on Tuesday.
Two crews from Ely were called to High Barns shortly after 4pm following reports that a blaze had started in a kitchen.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house and quickly extinguished the flames. The cause of the fire was accidental.
Crew commander, Mark Coupar said: “The resident had accidentally turned on the grill part of her cooker instead of the oven, resulting in the kitchenware that was stored in the grill melting and causing a small fire to start.
“Accidents do happen but the most important thing is that residents have a working smoke alarm to alert them should a fire.
You may also want to watch:
“This resident was alerted to the situation by her smoke alarm, she got out, stayed out and dialled 999, enabling her to stay safe and us to deal with the fire.”
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats