Kitchen fire started after grill was accidentally turned on

PUBLISHED: 09:06 01 October 2014 | UPDATED: 09:06 01 October 2014

Archant

Firefighters were called after a fire broke out in a kitchen in Ely on Tuesday.

Two crews from Ely were called to High Barns shortly after 4pm following reports that a blaze had started in a kitchen.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house and quickly extinguished the flames. The cause of the fire was accidental.

Crew commander, Mark Coupar said: “The resident had accidentally turned on the grill part of her cooker instead of the oven, resulting in the kitchenware that was stored in the grill melting and causing a small fire to start.

“Accidents do happen but the most important thing is that residents have a working smoke alarm to alert them should a fire.

“This resident was alerted to the situation by her smoke alarm, she got out, stayed out and dialled 999, enabling her to stay safe and us to deal with the fire.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard