Kitchen blaze leaves couple homeless
A LITTLEPORT couple had a lucky escape when a kitchen blaze wrecked their house leaving them homeless. Elaine and Terry Lee were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm and rushed downstairs to try to lead their three pet dogs to safety. They rescued pets Al
A LITTLEPORT couple had a lucky escape when a kitchen blaze wrecked their house leaving them homeless.
Elaine and Terry Lee were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm and rushed downstairs to try to lead their three pet dogs to safety.
They rescued pets Albert and Pansy but were unable to find Pip as thick black smoke filled the kitchen of their home in Lynn Road.
Minutes later fire crews from Ely and Littleport arrived and pulled the dog unconscious from the blazing building.
You may also want to watch:
"When I saw him being carried out like a limp
bundle by the fireman, it was such a shock. He was soaking wet and covered in black soot," said Mrs Lee.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
"I don't mind so much the damage to the house, the insurance will cover that, but having to leave one of our dogs in a burning kitchen was something that will stay with me."
Pip is extra special to the Lee's who rescued him from Cyprus after he was dumped near their holiday home. He was brought back to England and made headlines as the first dog to get a pet passport out of Cyprus.
His rescue led to him being featured in dog magazines and on calendars.
After his latest ordeal, Pip was resuscitated by fire fighters and given oxygen at the scene.
"He has a bad cough and is a bit traumatised, so he's been sleeping with us," said Mrs Lee.
Mr and Mrs Lee have had to move out of their home and have been offered alternative accommodation which does not allow them to take their dogs. Fortunately a family living close by have stepped in to help.
"There is no way I was leaving the dogs in kennels after what has happened to them," said Mrs Lee.
The fire is believed to have started in a kitchen appliance and forensic teams are working at the house to determine the exact cause of the blaze.