Carols, festive readings and fundraisers at King’s Ely over the Christmas period
- Credit: Archant
A service of carols and festive readings brought a programme of Christmas events at King’s Ely to an end.
Hundreds of pupils, parents, family members, staff and friends of King’s Ely packed Ely Cathedral for the school’s annual Service of Readings and Carols for Advent and Christmas on Friday December 15.
There were performances by King’s Ely Senior’s Chapel Choir, Ely Cathedral Girls’ Choir, the King’s Barbers, King’s Ely Senior’s Chamber Choir and Edmund Aldhouse, Ely Cathedral’s assistant organist, as well as prayers and readings.
King’s Ely Acremont and Nursery and Junior also held their own carol services in the cathedral.
Ely Cathedral Girls’ Choir enjoyed a trip to London to sing at the Great Ormond Street Hospital charity Christmas concert, where they got to meet famous faces including Matt Barber, Toby Jones and Dame Patricia Routledge.
You may also want to watch:
Ely Cathedral Boys’ Choir visited the capital for a festive concert at St Paul’s, Onslow Square, where they sang to an audience of 400 people, including the Chelsea Pensioners.
The concert was part of the series organised by Holy Trinity Brompton for older people and their friends to enjoy.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
The annual festive charity action afternoon and craft fair at King’s Ely Junior was as popular as ever and took place in aid of the Uganda Marathon Appeal this year.
Activities included everything from a sponsored circuit training session to an auction led by local television auctioneer David Palmer.
Other highlights included the annual sixth form Christmas ball, King’s Ely Junior’s glitzy Christmas concert, a winter wonderland charity fundraiser at King’s Ely Senior organised by the girls in Withburga house, cracker making workshops and fancy dress Christmas parties at King’s Ely Acremont and Nursery, and Christmas Jumper Days throughout all of King’s Ely.
Sue Freestone, principal of King’s Ely, said: “One of the many joys of working in a cathedral school is that we are so closely bound to the rhythm of the year and Christmas is a very special time.
“All of the pupils and staff of King’s Ely wish our community a very happy Christmas.”