New King’s and Queen’s Scholars appointed
- Credit: Archant
Fourteen Ely students were installed in Ely Cathedral as King’s and Queen’s Scholars.
The Admission of Scholars’ Service on November 23 saw the families of King’s Ely Senior and the Scholars attend.
This year’s King’s and Queen’s Scholars are Ben Garrett, Victoria Davis, Anna Chaudhry, Daniel Grapes, Charlotte Ebbens, Lily Buckley, Tom Henderson, Lucy Lott, Pimploy Mahikote, India Thomas, Arthur Plews, Charlotte Wilkinson, Solomon Boon and Molly Van Poortvliet.
Three international scholars were also appointed this year – Ilaria Dimina, Joe Lau and William Wu.
The scholars received their red gowns and the service featured hymns, readings and prayers.
The Admission of Scholars’ Service was followed by Evensong and the evening ended with a ‘Visitors’ Feast’ when King’s Ely staff, governors and families came together in the school’s monastic barn to celebrate the achievements of the newly appointed scholars.
King’s Scholars (boys) were inaugurated by Henry VIII in 1541 and Queen’s Scholars (girls) at the request of Queen Elizabeth II in 1973.
- 1 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
There is no application process for these honorary scholarships - the positions are awarded according to students’ GCSE results.