Young Ely pupils get up close with fire engines when visiting the Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Credit: Archant
Ely reception pupils got up close and personal with fire engines and operated firefighters’ equipment when paying an educational visit to the Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue service.
The King’s Ely Acremont students learned the importance of fire safety and were told more about the “urgent nature” of the firefighters’ jobs during the Egremont Street station visit on Monday, September 24.
Faye Fenton-Stone, head of King’s Acremont, said: “Learning should be much more than a classroom-based experience and I am pleased to see that our Reception children are making the most of exploring our community.
“On their return, the children were full of conversation and their excitement and observations fed their plans and engagement during some busy role play and sketching with pastels.
“Shortly after, the children composed a thank you note for the time the firefighters gave up explaining their job and touring the station. Well done children, for your manners and thoughtfulness!
You may also want to watch:
“The visit also saw the children being able to climb aboard the fire engine, and the highlight for most of them was having a go at blasting the water hose as high as they could!
“The trip was organised to tie in with the children’s topic for the term, All About Me.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?