King’s Ely students Rebecca and Sophie to run and row 31km in aid of Cancer Research and Alzheimer’s Research UK
- Credit: Archant
Two King’s Ely Senior students will run and row the equivalent of a half marathon to raise funds for two charities close to their hearts.
Rebecca Garrett, 15, and Sophie Wood, 17, will go the extra mile to raise money for Cancer Research UK and Alzheimer’s Research UK.
Sophie and Rebecca will be running a 10km race and then rowing 21km - the equivalent of a half marathon - on a static rowing machine.
The intrepid pair will be attempting their 21km row in the garden of Hill House at King’s Ely on June 21 and then each running 10km after school on July 5.
Rebecca has chosen to support Cancer Research UK following the recent loss of her auntie.
She said: “My auntie was supported so much by her friends and family but it should never have happened.
“We desperately need to find a cure to this horrible disease.”
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 5 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 8 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
Sophie is raising funds for Alzheimer’s Research UK following the recent death of her grandfather.
She said: “Watching my grandfather struggle with dementia, and watching the effect that it had on my mum and the rest of my family, was truly heart-breaking.
“Alzheimer’s Research UK and Cancer Research UK are two very deserving charities which need all of the help that they can get.”
To sponsor Sophie and Rebecca, who are busy training for their challenge, visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Rebecca-Garrett01 or www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Sophie-Wood24