King’s Ely students Rebecca and Sophie to run and row 31km in aid of Cancer Research and Alzheimer’s Research UK
- Credit: Archant
Two King’s Ely Senior students will run and row the equivalent of a half marathon to raise funds for two charities close to their hearts.
Rebecca Garrett, 15, and Sophie Wood, 17, will go the extra mile to raise money for Cancer Research UK and Alzheimer’s Research UK.
Sophie and Rebecca will be running a 10km race and then rowing 21km - the equivalent of a half marathon - on a static rowing machine.
The intrepid pair will be attempting their 21km row in the garden of Hill House at King’s Ely on June 21 and then each running 10km after school on July 5.
Rebecca has chosen to support Cancer Research UK following the recent loss of her auntie.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “My auntie was supported so much by her friends and family but it should never have happened.
“We desperately need to find a cure to this horrible disease.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
Sophie is raising funds for Alzheimer’s Research UK following the recent death of her grandfather.
She said: “Watching my grandfather struggle with dementia, and watching the effect that it had on my mum and the rest of my family, was truly heart-breaking.
“Alzheimer’s Research UK and Cancer Research UK are two very deserving charities which need all of the help that they can get.”
To sponsor Sophie and Rebecca, who are busy training for their challenge, visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Rebecca-Garrett01 or www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Sophie-Wood24