Ely student is picked to play for a national rugby squad
- Credit: Archant
An Ely student has been picked to play for a prestigious national rugby team.
Solomon Boon has been selected for the Lambs Under 16 national Squad.
The 15 year old King’s Ely student will be representing both the Lambs and King’s Ely in a series of big games over the coming months.
Solomon, who lives with his family in Waterbeach, near Cambridge, joined King’s Ely Junior in 2013.
Teachers say he has been a standout performer for the school’s 1st XV so his call up is richly deserved.
Solomon, who also plays for Newmarket Rugby Club, said: “Rugby is my favourite sport and King’s Ely has really helped me to progress.
“I know I wouldn’t have got in the Lambs squad without the coaching and support from Mr Thompson.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 4 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 7 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 8 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
“I really enjoyed the trials. They were a great experience but I was really shocked when I received the email to say I had made the squad.”
Jim Thompson, head of rugby at King’s Ely, said: “I am delighted that Solomon has been selected for the Lambs Under 16 National Squad. He has worked hard to gain these representative honours on the back of some outstanding performances for the 1st XV this season.
“He should be congratulated on this achievement and I wish him all the best for the up and coming fixtures.”
The Lambs Under 16’s are set to play Worcester on March 1, attend the North Wales Tour from March 31 to April 8 and play Gloucester on April 22.
King’s Ely says it has a proud reputation of students being selected for renowned rugby teams, with a number of boys in recent years being projected into the limelight and grabbing the attention of several national coaches and scouts.
Founded in 2006, the Lambs exists to create openings for boys to showcase their rugby skills at a representative level.