King’s Ely scoops two new international coaches for rugby and rowing
- Credit: Archant
The new academic year always provides schools with new and exciting opportunities, but none more so than this year for King’s Ely.
The school has succeeded in appointing not one, but two international coaches to head up their rugby and rowing programmes.
The new head of rugby is Jim Thompson. Mr Thompson has played rugby for Scotland, was picked for a full tour to Argentina and played full back in the Scotland World Cup seven-a-side squads on three occasions.
He is the son of ‘At The Races’ and Radio Five Live presenter Derek Thompson, and the grandson of the ‘Voice of Rugby’, the late Bill McLaren.
Mr Thompson said: “I am really looking forward to developing the rugby programme across the school and very excited to have the opportunity to inspire the students to reach their potential. I will look to pass on my knowledge and experience from what I have learnt over my eight year professional rugby career.”
You may also want to watch:
Mark Beer is the new head of rowing. He has coached athletes through to national and international level, but most recently as the athlete development coach for Cambridge University Boat Club.
Mr Beer said: “I’m looking forward to working with an energetic and dynamic group of students and coaches to further develop rowing within the school. The school has great facilities and arguably the best stretch of river in the country for rowing right on its doorstep.”
- 1 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 2 Firefighters tackle deliberate barn blaze for more than four hours
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 4 Boy, 14, to wear electronic tag and obey curfew after admitting harassment
- 5 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
- 6 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 7 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 8 Village-wide pyjama day raises £1,600 for Cambridge's new children’s hospital
- 9 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 10 Letters: No praise for Palmer, litter picker success and neglected roads
The Principal of King’s Ely, Sue Freestone, commented: “We are really pleased to have added these talented sportsmen to our teaching and coaching team. I look forward to some exciting developments in the sporting life of the school.”