King’s Ely students are appointed King’s and Queen’s scholars of 2017
- Credit: Archant
Ely’s King’s and Queen’s Scholars of 2017 have been appointed.
Each year, up to 12 students in Year 12 are nominated as King’s Scholars (boys) or Queen’s Scholars (girls). They become members of the Cathedral Foundation, strengthening the special link between King’s Ely and the cathedral.
King’s Scholars were inaugurated by Henry VIII in 1541 and Queen’s Scholars at the request of Queen Elizabeth II in 1973.
There is no application process for these honorary scholarships, the positions instead being awarded according to pupils’ GCSE results.
This year’s King’s and Queen’s Scholars are Benita Bausbacher, Maria Campbell, Jasmine Choudhry, Tobias Dunlop Brown, Rebecca Garrett, Felix Hawes, Holly Lancaster, Jenna Richards, Carlotta Rosenthal, Zoe Wheelwright and William White.
You may also want to watch:
As ever, the Admission of Scholars’ Service saw the whole school and the scholars’ proud families coming together in Ely Cathedral.
The scholars received their distinctive red gowns, the colour traditionally associated with royalty, and the service featured hymns, readings and prayers.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
The service was followed by evensong and the evening ended with a splendid ‘Visitors’ Feast’ when King’s Ely staff, governors and families came together in the school’s Monastic Barn to celebrate the achievements of the newly appointed Scholars.
In addition to the King’s and Queen’s Scholars, Melody Leung has also been appointed an International Scholar this year.
Principal Sue Freestone, said: “We are tremendously proud of our scholars and all that they have achieved. The blatant celebration of academic achievement silently proclaimed by the red gown is a hall mark of King’s Ely.”