King’s Ely Junior maths aces score top marks in national competitions
- Credit: Archant
Budding mathematicians from King’s Ely Junior were left jumping for joy after bagging the school’s best ever score in the Junior Mathematical Olympiad and Junior Mathematical Kangaroo.
Matthew Danes, Thomas Kim, Jose Alarcon Garcia Ramos and Eleanor MacGillivray all turned in top performances for the school, with year 7 pupil Eleanor securing the best score in the Junior Maths challenge.
She fought off competition from 1,200 other students to take her place in the top 300, where she received a distinction and a bronze medal.
In the Junior Kangaroo, Thomas and Jose received a merit certificate after their performances gained them a place in the top 25 per cent. Unfortunately, Matthew lost out by a few marks.
Thomas and Jose will now go on and attempt the Intermediate Challenge next year, while Eleanor and Matthew will tackle the Junior Maths Challenge for a second time.
You may also want to watch:
Head of KS3 mathematics at King’s Ely Junior, Audrienne Bezzina, said she was very proud of the four mathematicians.
She said: “I am very pleased with this result, which has been the best ever obtained by King’s Ely.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 6 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 7 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'